March 2013 – Beef and Barley Soup
Beef and Barley Soup
|2 cups||beef, cubed|
|1 tablespoon||vegetable oil|
|1-1/2 cups||chopped onion|
|1 cup||chopped celery|
|1 cup||chopped carrots|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced|
|10 cups||beef stock|
|3||sprigs fresh thyme, chopped|
|1/2 cup||red wine|
|2 cups||cubed potatoes|
|1-1/2 cup||chopped cabbage|
|salt and pepper to taste|
- Season beef cubes with salt and pepper to taste. Place seasoned beef in a large soup pot. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and saute for 5 minutes on high heat. Remove meat.
- In the same large soup pot over medium heat, combine the oil, onions, celery and carrots. Saute for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the beef stock, barley, bay leaf and thyme and simmer until barley is softened but not muchy.
- Add the wine, potatoes and beef.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes and add the cabbage.
- Allow to simmer another 15 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 12 servings