November 2013 – Beef Bourguignon
|1/4 cup||all purpose flour|
|1/2 tsp||ground black pepper|
|2 lbs||cubed stew meat|
|1 clove||garlic, minced|
|2 cups||red wine|
|3 tbsp||chopped fresh parsley|
|1/2 tsp||dried thyme|
|1 (6 ounce) can||sliced mushrooms (save the liquid)|
|1 (16 ounce) can||canned onions|
- In a small bowl combine the flour, salt and ground black pepper. Coat the beef cubes with this mixture.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat and brown well on all sides. Transfer meat into a 2 quart casserole.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the onion, carrots and garlic to it. Sauté for 5 to 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Add the wine, bay leaf, parsley, thyme and liquid from the mushrooms and stir. Pour over meat.
- Bake, covered at 350 depress F for 2 1/2 hours. Remove cover, add canned onions and mushroom crowns and bake for 30 minutes more.
- Serve with potatoes, noodles or rice.
Makes 4 servings