October 2013 – Texas Style Chili
Texas Style Chili
|3 lbs||lean ground beef|
|2||garlic cloves or use 1/4 tsp garlic powder|
|4 tbsp||chili powder|
|4||Tepinoes (Texas hot chili pepper), try a specialty food store|
|1/4 tsp||cayenne pepper|
|1/4 tsp||salt or to taste|
|1||large can peeled tomatoes|
|1 cup||water or use 1 bottle of beer|
|2-4 cans||small red kidney beans; average 1/2 cup beans per person|
- Pour a small amount of oil in a large pot.
- Dice onion and simmer on low heat.
- Add ground beef and spices, except tomatoes.
- Cook on low heat for 1 hour.
- You can transfer to a crock pot at this point or continue in your pot.
- Add tomatoes.
- Cook on low heat for an additional hour.
- Add water or beer and continue to cook for 1 hour.
- Add kidney beans and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite bread and beer!